Sponsored by the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC), the following webinars are presented by genetic counselors on a wide range of topics. Learn more about this month's feature presention, and sign up today! Regisration is Free for all guests.
- Taking Heredity to Heart: The Role of Genetics in Cardiovascular Disease | View Recording
- Ancestry and Other Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing: What to Consider Before Mailing that DNA | Tuesday, March 28 at 7pm Central Time | Register Now
- Genetic Testing and Pregnancy: A Genetic Counselor Guides You Through Your Options | Tuesday, April 25 at 7pm Central Time | Register Now
- My Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease: Is the Answer in My Genes? | Tuesday, June 27 at 7pm Central Time | Register Now
- Rare Disease: What Role Do Genetics Play? | Tuesday, August 22 at 7pm Central Time | Register Now
- Mental Illness and Genetics: Family History, and Protecting Your Mental Health | Tuesday, October 24 at 7pm Central Time | Register Now
The March webinar will be presented on Ancestry and Other Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing. The webinar will be presented by Brianne Kirkpatrick, MS, LGCApproximately 7 million ancestry tests have been ordered by curious consumers, most of those in the past few years. That’s a lot of DNA! Ethnic background is one type of result that can come from an online DNA test, along with others like physical traits, wellness factors, carrier status for recessive conditions, and estimates of genetic relatedness to others who have also tested. While these results have the potential to empower people with information they can then use to make changes or decisions, they can also raise questions. Where do you turn for answers?
In this webinar, genetic counselor and ancestry test consultant Brianne Kirkpatrick will address some of the common questions she hears, like “What could a direct-to-consumer DNA test tell me?” and “Who will own my data?” She’ll also address the different types of genetic tests on the market and touch upon the fact that “surprises” can be sprung on you any time in life…and DNA tests results are no exception. This NSGC consumer webinar will leave you empowered with the questions to ask before you test and resources to have on hand when your results come back.