The Genetic Counselors and You series turns complex genetics into information you can use for your personal healthcare.
The Genetic Counselors and You series is now available as a podcast - subscribe by searching for "Genetic Counselors and You" in iTunes, Spotify and Google Play Music.
- Who are Genetic Counselors? | March 16, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
The first episode of the Genetic Counselor and You series discusses who genetic counselors are, why you might see one, what genetic counselors do and don't do, and the benefits of integrating a genetic counselor into your healthcare team. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- Genetic Counselors and Your Healthcare Team | May 31, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
This episode discusses how genetic counselors play an active role in patient care and how they work with other healthcare providers. The episode also emphasizes how genetic counselors’ special training in genetics and counseling sets them apart from other healthcare providers. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- What Genetic Counselors Don't Do | August 26, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
In episode three of the Genetic Counselors and You podcast series -we're myth-busting! What does the “counseling” in “genetic counseling” really mean? Do genetic counselors tell you how to make medical decisions? Do genetic counselors have all the answers? How precise is precision medicine? For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month | October 18, 2019 | Listen to the Episode | Download the Transcript
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the National Society of Genetic Counselors and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention want to help women learn the steps they can take – like genetic testing and genetic counseling – to understand their risk for breast and ovarian cancer. For more information related to this episode, visit the following webpages:
You can also check out our archive of Genetic Counselors and You webinars to go deeper into everything from genetics’ role in fertility to ancestry testing.
- Is Fertility Preservation an Option for You? | View Recording
- Is Your Genetic Privacy Protected? | View Recording
- The Future of At-Home Genetic Testing | View Recording
- How Genetics Affects Infertility | View Recording
- Mental Illness and Genetics: Family History, and Protecting Your Mental Health | View Recording
- Rare Disease: What Role Do Genetics Play? | View Recording
- My Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease: Is the Answer in My Genes? | View Recording
- Taking Heredity to Heart: The Role of Genetics in Cardiovascular Disease | View Recording
- Ancestry and Other Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing: What to Consider Before Mailing that DNA | View Recording
- Genetic Testing and Pregnancy: A Genetic Counselor Guides You Through Your Testing Options | View Recording
- Cancer and Family History: Information You Need to Assess Your Risk | View Recording
For questions or concerns, please contact the National Society of Genetic Counselors at email@example.com