Genetic counselors ask about your family health history, discuss genetic risks and testing options and support you
What can you expect when your first meet with a genetic counselor? You should anticipate an informative and thoughtful conversation that often lasts 30 minutes to an hour or longer. Your genetic counselor will:
- Explore your family health history
- Discuss the reason for the referral
- Talk about decisions that may need to be made
- Help you understand what tests are available, what those tests may show, and provide guidance to help you decide whether testing is something you would like to pursue
- Provide guidance and emotional and support as you decide what to do
Learn more about what genetic counselors do and what happens during a visit.
Not only are you welcome to bring someone with you – whether a spouse, a family member or a
friend – it is encouraged. It’s always helpful to have someone else who can listen, take notes and ask questions you might not think of.
Find a Genetic Counselor